Tuesday, November 15, 2011

# 44 - Good Morning, Treadmill

I am a very busy person, B"H. Between work and dancing and volunteering and my dear family, I don't have a minute to my name. That was one of the reasons I really hesitated joining the Efrat Women's Health Center. I really didn't have the time to attend, and I didn't have time to dedicate to getting fit.
But you know what?? I wanted so much to be a healthy wife, mother, grandmother and dancer that I found the time.
I go to sleep in the "twelve o'clocks" every night and get up at around 7 AM. I don't set alarm clock. I just wake up every morning around them. And after lazying around for a few minutes, I get my act together and say, "Good morning, treadmill."
I clear off all the stuff that has accumulated over night. (How do my clothes know to jump on to my treadmill. It is one of those deep mysteries of life.) I grab my phone, my cell phone, my air conditioner controls, my TV controls, my DVD controls and I'm set.
Getting on the treadmill every morning has become a ritual for me that I hope I can keep up always.
I was never a morning person, but I have come to love my early morning treadmill time. I watch 30-40 minutes of a movie that my sister prepared for me, and I have some time to rev up my batteries.
I don't think I'd ever be able to find time in the later morning or afternoon to squeeze in walking or exercise, because once the day gets going, I am just too too busy. But getting my walking done first thing in the morning, makes me confident that the day's going to be great, IY"H.
I chalk up a few thousand steps (I don't know if I'll ever reach the magic 10,000 a day, but I'm still hoping), so I don't have to sit at my desk in guilt. And then when I approach different food choices, I can think, "Hm, if I eat this, it's an extra 20 minutes on the treadmill. Forget it." Or "Okay, I can live with that."
When I get off that treadmill all sweaty every morning, I feel great – maybe even happy. You might say, "It's those endorphins – or runner's high." But I can assure you. "I ain't no runner." I walk. I walk quickly sometimes. I walk steadily, but I don't usually run. All the same, I enjoy starting my day with a happy walk.
I watch Fred Astaire or Betty Grable or Kathryn Grayson and I start out my day with a song. Isn't that the best way?!

No comments:

Post a Comment