Thursday, November 3, 2011

# 34 - The Family Support Zone

I told my entire family that I won the exercise contest this week at the Efrat Women's Health Center. First of all, that's something humongous, because I started this project not wanting to discuss it with anyone in my family. I was pretty sure they'd say, "Yeah, Ema. Good luck. How long will it last. Doesn't sound do-able. Whatever."
When I first began my journey to good health, the only one I shared the news with was my eight-year-old granddaughter, who B"H has always been both proud and supportive of me from the start. She used to ask me every few days, "How long has it been now since you've eaten chocolate?" She was sincerely interested.
The family situation switched towards the end of the summer when a spontaneous happy hug from my granddaughter made everyone in the clan suddenly notice that my shape had slimmed a bit, and they suddenly took notice of my health journey. That night they all applauded my achievements. And I began to openly make healthy food for them as well.
In the beginning they made all kinds of cracks. But now that they see that I'm really doing my best to be healthy, they are very encouraging. And it's fun to have my whole family rooting for me.
Last night after I won my first exercise contest :), I messaged everyone to tell them. Almost every family member wrote back something like, "Yay!!," "You go, girl," or "We're proud of you," or "Keep it up."
My sister, who is wise and knowledgeable of the world of health, nutrition, diet, exercise and just about everything else, sent me a Talk Box message. "I'm so proud of you. You made up your mind to do it and when you get in the Zone, you get it and it's so easy to do. Once you're in the Zone, you've got to stay there as long as you can."
The Zone??
I was watching Dancing with the Stars with my daughter (and I think my dearest mother ad 120 was still here from America). One of the judges told a dancer, "You...are...in...the...Zone." I remember raising my eyebrows, "The Zone??"
Which zone? Where is the zone? Is it time, is it space? Is it fame? Is it...whatever??? Then my sister said it to ME yesterday!!
I was really zone clueless, so I googled "in the zone" and it came up with this:
http://www.stayinthezone.com/
It has to do with Sports Psychology - being the best, focused, succeeding like on autopilot.
It said:
Are You In The Zone?

  • "Everything was effortless."
  • "I saw nothing but fairways and greens"
  • "I didn't have to think about a thing."
  • "It was magical."
  • "I was the ball."
  • "I was really confident."
  • "The target looked huge."
  • "The game was easy."
  • "I was in a cocoon of concentration."
My husband told me that when he swims in the morning, the strokes just come right after the other. He glides through the water and he can even close his eyes and continue. I guess he's in the zone. (I'd better tell him.)
  • So, my sister thinks I'm in the Healthy Life Zone. It sounds like the title of a book. Meanwhile, I'll try to keep in the health and fitness zone, and I'm proud that I can say I'm in the Family Support Zone.

No comments:

Post a Comment