Wednesday, July 13, 2011

# 3 - Move It or Lose It

There are all these expressions that just miss the mark when it comes to our aims for a healthy life. Take "move it or lose it." Actually, where good health is concerned, the correct expression should be "move it and lose it."
On Monday night I walked into our first meeting of the Efrat Women's Health Center and was greeted by the star aerobics instructor Daphne Kupietzky. I could not believe that Daphne was going to lead us in our first aerobics class. I mean, she teaches real aerobics classes with women wearing special color coordinated outfits and chic headbands with matching wristbands.
We were a half dozen women in varied states of shape, but we were rarin' to go. I asked Daphne what the goal of the session was. She said "to move and to sweat."
Well, hooray, I reached my first goal already. I moved and I sweated. And it was a pretty good session. However, she almost lost me on those stomach curls, but I did my version of the curl (let's say the stomach wave) and I got through it.
I always thought that exercise was dulls-ville and too much of an effort. But Daphne's exercise was rhythmic and it almost seemed like dancing. And that's the magic word for me.
As we were doing leg lifts, one of the women called, out, "Boy, I'm in bad shape." Well, that's why we were there! The good shaped people were probably at their health club or at the movies or planning their trip to Italy (good shaped people always go to Italy - the others are on line at Disney World).
All seemed to be going well until Daphne said, "Get out the mats." Mats mean "Get down on the floor." Well, I haven't gotten on the floor since 1991. In fact, I have it in my Raise Your Spirits performance contract that no role I play is required to get down on the floor.
So, when Daphne said, "Get out the mats," all I'm wondering is "Who is going to pick me up?"
But you know what? It went well. We did leg lifts. We did splits, or virtual-splits, and we got up off the floor.
B"H, we all felt the feeling of triumph, so it seems we're aiming in the right direction.
**
Step It Up
Dr. Tzipi Morris, head of the Efrat Women's Health Center, wants everyone to work up to 10,000 steps a day. If that actually happens, the Messiah will probably come. But then again, we know he's on the way, so we might just make those 10,000 steps one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment