Tuesday, July 26, 2011

# 11 - Working Moves

I'm back to writing about walking again, because it's my most difficult thing to achieve. I can behave in the food department. I've even started to go to sleep on time - meaning in the 12s.
I am just finding it impossible to get those STEPS in.
I'm a writer, and I'm at my desk for the majority of the day. And when I'm on a deadline, forget it. Don't even try to move me.
Still, I know it's not healthy to sit for so long.
If I could only walk and type at the same time!!

Here are my latest counts of my steps:
* Monday (with exercise class): 1497
Before the exercise class, my pedometer read 399. Oy vey.
* Tuesday (with tap): 2248
Before tap, it read about 450. Oy oy vey.
It's been like that just about every night.
My major problem is that when I'm work, or busy with all kinds of other responsibilities, I get tons of things done, but I don't get to move at all.
When I'm on a deadline for my magazine, www.voices-magazine.com , http://voices-magazine.blogspot.com, I sit at my desk from 10 AM until 2 AM. Lately at least until 12 midnight. That's a lot of sitting.
I tried following Alizah Shapiro's suggest to take five minutes and walk up and down the steps, http://aimwellwomen.blogspot.com/2011/07/7-stepping-up.html. That adds a few hundred steps, and it feels silly and good. But I think I'm going to have to try to find a way to begin my day with some time on the treadmill.
Or maybe I'll actually walk outside. Then I'll get my Vitamin D and a few steps in there. I googled this site: http://www.thewalkingsite.com/. I'm even contemplating doing what it says for beginners: How to start: First of all, start out slow and easy. Just walk out the door. For most people this means head out the door, walk for 10 minutes, and walk back. That's it? Yes, that's it. Do this every day for a week. If this was easy for you, add five minutes to your walks next week (total walking time 25 minutes). Keep adding 5 minutes until you are walking as long as desired.
I probably won't do it, but at least I'm contemplating it. That's a first step.

Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment