Sunday, July 10, 2011

#1 - Mean Well - Aim Well

I am potentially a very healthy person. I mean that's what I want to be. I MEAN to be WELL, so now I'm going to AIM to be WELL.
Okay, back to the beginning… I really AM a potentially healthy person (at least in my mind - that's a start :)). So, when my brilliant tap teacher/choreographer/clinical nutritionist Judy Kizer said I should join the new Efrat Women's Health Center program and become a healthy person in reality, I actually thought about it.
Truthfully I didn't think that I needed a Women's Center or anything else. Judy is the world's best and most motivating teacher and nutritionist. Everyone who learns with her feels her support and encouragement, but I have one major impediment to my potentially health life - TIME!
No Time for Good Health
I find it too hard or maybe inconvenient to find the time to do healthy things. Life is so busy, B"H. My schedule is so jam-packed you'd think I was making it up if I told you what I try to accomplish in the course of a day. And even if you'd imagine some fictitious schedule, you wouldn't even come close to my daily calendar.
So when Judy asked me to walk on the treadmill every morning, I wanted to comply, but I could never find the time - too many morning meetings or appointments, or I worked so late, I couldn't get up early enough to walk. When she asked me to go to Zumba at night, I agreed, but for some reason every meeting, simcha and board meeting were called on a Zumba night. I really tried. I even got Zumba schedules, and yet I couldn't find one convenient time - although I'm still hoping that at least somehow I'll be able to free up my Saturday nights to Zumba with the rest of the crowd.
I also don't have much (read: any) time to prepare healthy foods and cut up vegetables, which is vital for a healthy life. Judy asked me to prepare them on Sunday morning. I did. I started my week off with vegetables, but I finished them by Sunday afternoon.
Besides that, I'm not the biggest balabusta (homemaker), and the only time I actually cook is on Friday when I make a giant Shabbat. B'H when my kids are home for Shabbat I want to treat them with all the yummy stuff they love. Judy says I must cut down on Shabbat, and I want to, but I also want them to remember Shabbat at home as a special experience. And food has just as much a part in the Shabbat excitement as the singing, playing, words of Torah and togetherness.
The problem with that is I can lose three pounds during the week and put on five on Shabbat. That's kinda depressing.
New Direction
All this must have been frustrating for Judy too, because she finally suggested that I should join the Women's Health Center and REPROGRAM my habits.
So, because I want to be a healthy wife and mother, grandmother too, and because I want to dance for many many years to come (did I mention that I have been dedicatedly tap dancing for more than four years) I decided that maybe reprogramming would be a good thing.
I really do mean well. And I guess together on this blog, we'll see if I actually can succeed in my goal to AIM for a life of WELLNESS and good health.

No comments:

Post a Comment