Sunday, August 28, 2011

# 21 - Fresh Air, Sunshine, Picnic Panics

My family and I just returned from a vacation on the Golan Heights, Israel's recreation capital. Mountains, streams, horses, cattle, fresh air, orchards, vistas and views, breathtaking scenery, fun in the sun.
The Golan really is all fabulous. It is the one vacation that pleases everyone from two years old to thirty-two. But along with a Golan vacation goes planning meals for 16 people. Even worse, planning yummy meals that will please everyone, and then trying to eat healthy.
Breakfasts weren't bad - cereal of every sort for each taste - fruity, sugary, grainy, crunchy, and even plain Cheerios for me.
Lunches were more of a challenge. Every morning at 9:30 AM, I began taking orders for the day's sandwiches. I started out by making sure everyone had two sandwiches, but a person gets hungry out in the fresh air, so two sandwiches a day quickly became three. They had to be both delicious (read: edible) and keep everyone satisfied along the trail or look-out until we got home at night.
We bought white rolls, whole wheat rolls and sliced bread. Everyone had his choice - peanut butter, chocolate spread, carob spread, butter, cream cheese, cheese. Then I packed for myself - four rice cakes and two pieces of cheese. Okay, okay, I know that cheese was a bad idea (high in everything not good, plus it also melted every day into a limp mush), but I couldn't think of many more choices for touring on the go.
Actually, one day when my son cut up a zillion vegetables, I had a whole wheat roll with vegetables and tuna for lunch. That was scrumptious. Then later I had rice cakes and cheese. (Okay, so I'm not good with variety. We're going to work on that.)
Dinner was not that bad. I hadn't wanted to spend days cooking, so I brought bags of franks and chicken for a BBQ, shnitzel for one meal, dairy quiches for yet another night, and lastly deli. Yes, (Yes, I know deli has dangerous nitrates and all kinds of terrible stuff, but is it really so bad once a year, is it?)
Then there were snacks. I made sure everyone had a nectarine or other fruit. And I told them, "No, Cheetos until after your sandwich and fruit are done."
Well, B"H, we survived a week of family togetherness (actually, every loved it), and although I didn't lose too much weight (.4 kilo), I didn't gain.
I didn't eat the ceremonial end-of-day ice cream after each tour. I didn't eat white bread. I didn't eat Cheetos. But I still had fun. I enjoyed with my family and I didn't feel deprived.
We didn't hike across the mountains or swim in the streams, but we were active all day from morning until night and we were out in the sunshine under the gorgeous Golan sky.
More than anything, I feel I was a good healthy-loving example for my family, and that made be feel terrific.

No comments:

Post a Comment