Saturday, May 19, 2012

# 70 - First You Sigh and Then You Walk

I have had the most personally amazing two months of my life in Israel. No, in the past two months I didn't win any awards, or take over any hilltops or star in a show. I had a solid two months of family. That has never happened to me in almost 20 years of living in Israel.
The two most precious people that I tearfully left behind in America - my dearest Mother ad 120 and my dear sister - each came to spend solid time with me over the past two months. So I put work on hold (I'm on good terms with the boss), cut back on just about all my responsibilities, and kept phone calls with friends to a minimum. I spent as much time with my family as I could. That was great.
The only thing that wasn't great was that a lot of our socializing time we spent surrounded by food. We went out to restaurants. We sat around the table for hours - talking and noshing. I never ate candy or cake. I never had ice cream with the gang, but I did overdo it anyway.
In addition to all that, I was off my routine. So I talked more and walked less. My exercise was down to a minimum.
When my mother, and then my sister and brother-in-law left, I cried my eyes out because I missed them so much. Then I got on the scale to see the results of two months of company, and I cried some more. Aghhhh!
But you know what? I wouldn't have traded the past many weeks with my mother and sister for anything - even a few pounds less on the scale. So I sighed, looked in the mirror :~/ and ... got on the treadmill. I can't knock off my "company weight" overnight, but I didn't put it on overnight either.
B"H I have learned good eating and exercise habits at the Efrat Women's Health Center that will help me get back on track. I'm excited to start again. Really.
So, if you ever find yourself slipping, don't panic. It happens to the best of us. Just remember: first you sigh and then, you get up on the treadmill and start walking back on to the road to good health.

No comments:

Post a Comment