Tuesday, May 15, 2012

# 69 - Walking with Doris Day

I made it to "6 kilometers" on the treadmill today. Six!! That's the most I ever walked. Usually on Tuesday mornings I walk outside in the fresh air with my friend, but she got out early and I got up late. So I made a real effort to get on the treadmill today. It's kind of boring sometimes to walk on and on alone. But my sister (who always thinks of these kinds of things, and is very encouraging) sent me a bunch of MGM musicals for treadmill time. So with Doris Day happily dancing more in Lullaby of Broadway than in any other movie, I walked onward. 
I almost quit at four kilometers, but I've gone quite a few days without any exercise (B"H, I have had lots of company lately), and I really needed the exercise. Besides all else, Doris was singing "Somebody Loves Me" adorably with Gene Nelson, so how could I stop? Five kilometers was another benchmark for me. But I didn't quit because Doris was just about to be reunited with her mysterious long-lost mother, so I walked through their tearful meeting. 
I started to wonder how long I could go on at the pretty good clip I was doing on my treadmill, and I made it 'til Gene and Doris (who had broken up a few songs before) got back together again and took Broadway by storm. In a gorgeous golden lamee dress, Doris and Gene did an incredibly difficult routine up a flight of stairs. And I kept them company from my treadmill. 
It was a great finale for all of us. Boy and girl dance into each others' hearts, and I did six kilometers on the treadmill, and feel like dancing myself!

2 comments:

  1. I did love the film,,,Doris was unique when dancing up and down the stairs...LOVE HER

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael DeVita is the author of a brand new book about Doris Day that chronicles her life, especially her music, from the beginning to the very end. "My 'Secret Love' Affair With Doris Day", now available at www.amazon.com. Check the reviews and get your copy now! See how Doris, her music and her career affected the author all of his life.
    More Information: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58K_TAr8nxg

    ReplyDelete